Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 2: 2015-04-19: Newark - San Leandro

Starting the day a bit earlier than yesterday, I retraced my steps for little more than a mile to reach the quarry trail crossover to Coyote Hills Regional Park. I had passed by La Rivera marsh, right opposite Newark slough yesterday, barely noticing it as I was intent on reaching the hotel and rest my legs. I took the slight detour into the marsh this morning and enjoyed it. Wetland restoration and saving the bay is a great project that has been going on for the past five decades or so and La Rivera marsh is an example of what can be accomplished over time reversing the abuse of years.


My original plan was to retrace my steps all the way back to Dumbarton bridge, cross under to a trail that runs closer to bay. I rerouted my path via Coyote Hills Regional Park and and I am so glad that I did it. This was a delightful segment of the hike - the rugged dirt trail had gentle rolling hills on one side and vast expanse of water on the other. It was slightly cloudy and cooler and the views were wonderful views over the next 3+ miles. Coyote Hills is dog friendly and I made a note to come back here soon with Apollo.


Midway through this section, you will come across a trail named "No Name Trail". It isn't that the trail doesn't have a name; it is named "no name trail"! Go figure!

The Bay View trail connects to Alameda Creek trail that runs east -west. Alameda Creek trail is a paved blacktop trail 11 miles long that is more popular with bikers than hikers. My walk kept me in this trail for little more than a mile before I headed into Union City Blvd. The next 3.5 mile segment is through city roads. Bulk of it is in Union City Blvd through a pleasant residential neighborhood before it turns somewhat commercial entering Hayward. A special shout out to Union City Sports Center that allowed me to use their facilities to freshen up! Thank you!

I took advantage of the fact that I was in the business district and found an Indian restaurant right on my path exactly at lunch time. Kabila Indian Cuisine served me tasty hot lunch and refreshed my bottle with chilled water. 


I continued up north on Union City Blvd & Hesperian Blvd before turning left on Eden Shores Blvd and making my way to Dune Cir where bay trail continues. The next 3 miles was through Eden Landing Ecological Preserve. As with all sensitive preserves, dogs are not allowed here. It is only rational - the preserve cannot risk a dog chasing a bird or animal even for fun. And for every conscientious dog owner who never fails to pick up after their dog, there are as many who do not! 


I came upon another family of geese in this stretch. There were four adult geese and few geeselings walking together.  As I approached them closer to pass, two birds flew over the fence while the other two stood their ground  making a threatening hissing noise protecting the new born until I was safely at a distance. 


Crossing over Hwy 92 in an overpass, the bay trail enters Hayward Regional Shoreline. After spending few minutes in the Hayward Interpretive Center, I continued up north by the trail that is closer to the bay. I came upon a fishing camp run by the interpretive center where they had just caught two leopard sharks. After studying them, the sharks were left back in the bay.


The next 4+ miles were an absolute delight with the trail literally hugging the bay. The trail also becomes dog friendly north of Winton Ave. There is a marked difference between hiking by marshlands and by the bay. The sound of waves, gentle sea breeze and an occasional dog walking with its master made it much easier to get past the 20th mile marker around Roberts landing.


After crossing San Lorenzo creek, the trail starts turning more urban. The dirt trail gives way to paved blacktop trails bordering urban housing in Roberts landing. The trail continues on to San Leandro Marina park, my destination for day 2.

Key Stats from Day 2


  • Distance covered: 22 miles
  • Elapsed time: 9 hours 45 minutes (including breaks)
  • Breaks: About 90 minutes
  • Overnight Stay: Marina Inn, San Leandro
  • Cities: Newark, Fremont, Union City, Hayward, San Leandro
  • Dog friendly segments: Coyote Hills Regional Park, Hayward Shoreline (north of Winton Ave)
  • Birds observed: Red-winged Blackbird, Great Egret, Double-crested Cormorant, Snowy Egret, American Avocet


Pictures (70+) from the hike today. Complete map of the 7 day walkabout.

No comments:

Post a Comment